[Paleopsych] Restart: licking the rich

Steve shovland at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 1 01:35:17 UTC 2004

I would agree that my thoughts about child-rearing
among the rich were speculative, not being one myself.

However, the whole issue of attachment disorders is not
speculative, having been meticulously researched for
many years.  John Bowlby started working on this in
the 1950's.

If one did real research on child-rearing among the
rich and found a high incidence of "absent" parenting
then one would also find a high incidence of
attachment disorders and everything that results
from that.

One source on this is "Treating Attachment
Disorders" by Karl Heinz Brisch.  It gives a
history of the research and some examples
of treating the problems.

Some people think that in recent years the far
right has had quite a lot of success in promoting
the doctrine of Social Darwinism, which includes
the proposition that rich people are more virtuous
because they are rich.  I have heard that there
is good research that demonstrates the value
of cooperation vs competition, but haven't been
able to find any citations.