[Paleopsych] Intelligent Bacteria

Eshel Ben-Jacob eshel at physics.ucsd.edu
Sat Apr 23 17:00:52 UTC 2005

Howard,
Thanks for the complements and the thoughtful messages.

I do agree with Hawking. Currently we are in the process of quantifying the ideas of

1. Latent information embedded in the complexity of the environment.

Attached is one of our paper that quantifies the notion of structural complexity and regularity.
The idea is that in daily life we intuitively mix the notions related to order vs. disorder and complexity in the sense of capacity for information. In regularity we refer to the axis from pure random sequence to purely periodic one. In terms of complexity both corresponds to the limit of vanishing complexity. Maximum complexity is usually at the crossing from disorder to order ( some refer to it as the edge of chaos) but on the regular side. So you have nested structure of variations ( variations within variations or variations on all time scales) but embedded within some level of regularity. The idea of the definition came from our study of real (not modelled) neural networks and recorded brain activity. We also learned from the networks ( and my own experience during my years in the Navy intelligence) that to extract the latent information by searching for hidden correlations one uses the following principle:

2. The correlation for correlation principle.

In analogy of using periodic signal for detecting periodic signal ( like in radio - a word you like) you have to be able to generate a spectrum of possible frequencies until you overlap with the external one. In a similar manner to identify hidden correlations you have to generate a large spectrum of possible correlations.

Passing by I should mention that the ability to find hidden correlations is what we do in science.
To quote Einstein :

"It is a glorious feeling to recognize
the unification of a complex of phenomena
that appear to direct sense experience
as completely separate things".
(In many cases we refer to a genius as one who can reveal hidden correlations that other overlook. Well at times they cross the edge and find correlations that do not exist but this is another story.)

The next principle I proposed for the bacteria (and any other system) is:

3. The principle of matched complexity. The system needs an internal level of complexity which is sufficiently high in order to extract latent information from the external complexity.

I view this matched complexity principle the driving force of evolution that explain the ever increasing level of complexity. In a nutshell the idea is: A single bacterium needs some level of complexity to detect the complexity of the surrounding environment and over the time window between replication. To glean more information the bacteria form cooperative behaviour and generate complex colonies. However for that each individual bacterium needs a higher level of internal complexity for communication and to cope with its external environment which is now has higher level of complexity - the environment becomes both the outside and the rest of the colony. To solve the paradox self-organization leads to the formation of functional modules and spatio-temporal patterns. And than .. (for next time).

Additional essential point in my mind which is missed both in the new paper and in hawking book and most of the research on neural networks is the fact that organisms are beyond computers!. A simple statement that refers to the fact that man made computers are subject to the limitation of Godel theorem. And they are based on the idea of digital (Turing machine) computation. I suggest (as is now starts to be realised) that also the brain uses analogue computation provided by the glia cells that are 90% present of the cells in the cortex. We now know that they regulate the synaptic connections the soma excitability and correlations between the neurons by generation of chemical waves. I would argue that the distributed information processing (that includes also self-reference elements - the system changes its self according to the computation) is what sustains the cognitive functions of the brain.

This brings us back to the bacteria.

As Steve said they do a different kind of information processing (distributed) than the current models of neural networks. I would add that the brain does similar kind as well as the immune system (which is the other cognitive functioning system of our body).

There is much more but I do not have time to write it all down in papers ( we also do experiments in recording of brain activity using fMRI EEG and ECoG and it takes much effort to analyse and draw conclusions.

Happy Passover, Eshel

Eshel Ben-Jacob.
Professor of Physics
The Maguy-Glass Professor
in Physics of Complex Systems

eshel at tamar.tau.ac.il    ebenjacob at ucsd.edu
Home Page: http://star.tau.ac.il/~eshel/
Visit http://physicaplus.org.il - PhysicaPlus
the online magazine of the Israel Physical Society

School of Physics and Astronomy           10/2004 -10/2005
Tel Aviv University, 69978 Tel Aviv, Israel      Center for Theoretical Biological Physics
Tel 972-3-640 7845/7604 (Fax) -6425787      University of California San Diego
                                                                                La Jolla, CA 92093-0354 USA
                                                                    Tel (office) 1-858-534 0524 (Fax) -534 7697